Kampungkayell

Food, life, and fun in my "kampung,"(village), KL (Kuala Lumpur). Did I mention "food?"


Thanks and Gratitude from us to all of you

By Allan Yap & Nigel A. Skelchy

Some of you may already know that for the past few weeks, Mum has been in hospital undergoing surgery to remove her stomach due to an aggresive malignant tumour. To cut a long story short, her stomach was removed but there may be further treatment. It has not spread to the lymph nodes. Her prognosis at this time is very good.

I was actually contemplating writing updates as to her progress but it seemed a bit, well, showy and maybe immodest as well as presumptuous that people might be interested at all.

Furthermore, and more importantly, I felt that Mum, being quite a private person, would wish to preserve her privacy.

If you know me, I am not very good at making believe that something is fine when it isn't. Much of what I feel is written on my face and I believe I do say what I mean. I'm very wizzywig. See if any of you remember that one. ;-)

It's really reached a point now, when so many people know about Mum that it would seem churlish not to acknowledge the Love, the concern, and the support that we've had for Mum and for our family.

For that, Dad, Allan, and I thank all of you.

As some of you know, before Allan and his family came along, Mum, Dad, and myself muddled along in our own little nuclear way believing it best not to bother or inconvenience or burden people with our troubles. Mum especially, was very 'hark hei.' A Cantonese phrase with no direct translation. Basically, she didn't like to inconvenience or bother people and did not like to be obligated.

Since Allan and his family came along however, (and yes, you marry not just the person but the family as well) we've since come to realise we are part of a greater community who is ever willing to lend a hand or give moral support. All you have to do is ask.

And everyone has given in spades. The outpouring of kindness and generosity has moved me to tears at times and Mum feels and appreciates it too. I try and tell Mum daily about who's called to offer their love and prayers and eventually one day, after I told her that Ian and Gerry from the UK were praying for her, she lifted her right hand up in prayer and said "Lord, you better make me well, otherwise a lot of your worshippers are going to be disappointed. In Jesus name we pray. Amen"

I laughed till I cried. In relief that her spirit was so strong. In joy, because at 77 and after such a major operation, her spirit is still so strong, and in gratitude because that encapsulated what had been happening.

We are indeed blessed to be surrounded by so much love and compassion. Thank you so much from all of us to all of you.

12 Comments

Well, do keep us updated. I don't know what else I can do except to offer my prayers. Let me know if I can be of any help (without getting in the way! :o)...hehehe). Take care and rest well.

thanks for sharing... may the good Lord bless and keep her.

maywan; thats all any of us can do and believe me, I think it's the best thing.

zewt; thanks bro. Amen to that. We know He has been doing just that.

Take care and my thoughts are with you.

will add this in our prayers, take care nigel!

hope all is well mate, and nice catching up with you for tat short while..

ur mom definitely knows how to crack a joke at the most serious of times..dont worry she will do well im sure

msiagirl; ta dear

babe; thanks very much dear

joe; thanks very much bro. Good to see you too.

It's really lovely reading about kindness and generosity of people. Very life-affirming and heart-warming especially in this time and age of violence and greed.

I wish your mum the best of health and you and Allan all the best in your future together.

dear cuz, all our prayers, love and thoughts are with you and your dearest, dearest family.

love,
ken.

kat; thanks very much...

ken; thanks much ya...much appreciated and luv

thank you for sharing.

will keep your mum in prayers and believing that all things will work out fine according to His master plan

peace
e

Post a Comment